Friday, December 17, 2010

Does Santa come to Brazil?

Tomorrow is my last day in the U.S., and I will be spending it celebrating Christmas with my family. Tonight Anna Belle and Morgan are staying with Jenni and I. I really wanted to see them before leaving. After Morgan made me read every single name on every single present to her (with a disappointed look after each one that wasn't her name), we made Christmas cookies, watched the Grinch, danced to loud music, spun around in chairs til we couldn't see, and now we are watching one of the various versions of A Christmas Carol. I should probably also mention that once Morgan discovered which gift was hers, she was good and did not open it, but she did carry it with her around the house, still wrapped. It's always within her sight. She was even laying with it under her arm at one point. Anna has been bugging Jenni non-stop with questions about her gift. She even asked if she could go to bed with it.

Through out the night, the girls have asked me questions about Brazil. They call Brazil "that place." 
They were concerned I wasn't coming back. They were confused as to why I was leaving for several weeks. I told them it was like when we went on vacation to the beach, like a sleep over that lasted a long time. At that point, Anna decided that Brazil and "the beach" are the same place. So she wanted to go too, and Morgan thought it amazing that I would be in a place (Peru) where people only speak Spanish. When she heard this, she was convinced she needed to go as well. She was amazed that I would be with people who didn't "speak like her" and questioned me extensively on if I could "speak like them." It was so cute.

We also solved the Santa crisis of 2010. Every Christmas, they write letters to Santa telling him they will be at La La's (Jenni's mom) house. That way he will know where to come. So they each wrote an email (a little different from Santa communication in the 90s) asking him to make sure to visit me in Brazil and not to worry about coming to our place in Green Hills because no one would be here. It was precious. 

We ended our Brazil discussion by talking about how Brazilians probably didn't have chimneys because it is often hot. We pondered this and decided that Santa could leave presents on the porch. So Morgan was sure to include that politely in her letter. Anna Belle was curious as to why families would not have fireplaces and chimneys. I told her it is usually warm so they do not need fires in their homes. She looked at me open mouthed and wide eyed and responded with: You mean it does not snow?! 
Knowing Anna, I am sure she would insist on sharing our snow with Brazil. She has the kindest little heart. 

Now all Santa concerns and Brazilian curiosities are settled, and we can all sleep peacefully tonight. 

Here are the letters to Santa. Anna Belle typed her own. Morgan told me what she wanted it to say. 



Dear  Santa  Claus.

Erin  Hasty   she  is   worried  that  she  wont  get  her   presint    in  brazil  with her  frens


Dear Santa,
Please come to Brazil for Erin and give her presents. 
Please put the presents on Marcel's porch because they do not have a chimney. 
Please also come to La La's house. Please come and put them under the tree.

1 comment:

  1. Erin..this is Beth from the work computer..I am diligently reading your blog!
    That is so sweet, those little Santa notes.
    Just wanted to say Hi and that you are being thought of over here.
    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete